Voting

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Few Little Projects

There are two little projects I finished a few weeks ago that I thought I'd share. We've been so busy (I love it!) so I'm a little behind on posting my blog-worthy projects. Who am I kidding? I blog about my kids' every milestone so I guess there is no set criteria for blog-worthiness. Anyway, I wanted a new cheap light for my eat in kitchen area. I really had a desire for a natural material like using a basket, rope or anything with a raw earthy feel. Right after I started looking, Ashley Ann from Under the Sycamore posted a pendant light project she had just completed. Using her tutorial and another that I had found, I put together a nice little light for my kitchen. I like it. I kind of wish it was a hair bigger, but for $31 dollars, I'm not going to complain. I bought a hanging flower basket, rope, and pendant kit and after lots of weaving in and out, she was ready to go.



I really like how it looks is in there, but now I am so itching to find a small round pedestal table. I've been looking for one all summer, but can't fins exactly what I want. The search continues.

Next, do you remember when I did the blog post about the old crate I wanted to use for a spice rack? 
Well, after two months of trying to figure out how I wanted to get the labels on the container lids, I finally completed the annoying little project. I really had the idea of little rounds of cute material covering the lids but I couldn't figure out an easy way of getting the spice names on the material in a way that I'd like. I found something on Pinterest that looked like a good alternative to my first plan, so I went out and got chalk board paint. I covered the lids with two coats and then using a bottle of window chalk paint and a paint brush, wrote the spice names on top. I don't have good handwriting, but I like them anyway. Yay! We hung the rack and it's finished. Glad to get that thing off my counter.








3 comments:

Heidi said...

Love the light. That's what I was going to make before I found my little bird cage. So cute. And are those new curtains in the kitchen? Either I've never noticed them or they're new, but I love the fabric.

Sarah Richey said...

I am soooo making this light! I JUST saw one in Ikea (quite a bit larger) and I was tempted to go back and get it. I had invisioned making one out of a basket, not sure how it would come together. So glad you posted this! :)

Mary Ann said...

Cute! You have such great ideas!!!!