Voting

Monday, August 22, 2011

Crik or Creek?

I guess it depends on whether or not you live up a holler or a hollow. Good 'ol Mountain Momma will mess up your speech. 

We have done a lot of traveling this summer (state-side), and as everyone knows, it can be a bit expensive to haul four people all over the place. Honestly though, I wouldn't have it any other way. David and I have both agreed we'd rather travel and create experiences with our children rather than have a large mortgage. Some people can do both. Maybe some day, but for now, I'll take my four-seater Altima, modest home, and Target clothes to pay for a few more gas miles and plane tickets.

However, what this means is that when we are home, I must find cheap entertainment. I found the neatest little spot in Coonskin park where we can just pull over the car and play in the stream. It's ankle deep and filled with all sorts of creatures that completely intrigue Parker and Graham. I have such fond childhood memories of playing in the creek on vacations to our Christmas tree farm in North Carolina and also building "dams" behind my late great-grandmother's apartment in Indiana. Yes, I was a bit of a tom-boy. I had an older brother so I didn't have a chance enjoying Barbie dolls. (I still don't understand why you'd want them other than to cut and style their hair.)

We've gone twice to this little location. Don't worry, Graham isn't wearing a dress. His already-to-big play shorts stretched out when they got wet. We're ghetto like that.
"Air-ane!" Another bonus of this place is that because it's right next to the airport, planes fly directly overhead every few minutes. Graham is slightly obsessed with airplanes.
 Parker doesn't share as much affection for the noisy passersby.
 Get out and enjoy this beautiful world...and find a local creek. It's hours of free entertainment. Cha-ching!




3 comments:

Annie White said...

You should bring the boys up to the airport to watch planes take off and land. There is a new overlook at the airport inside the terminal where you can see almost the entire airport. (and it's indoors so sans noise!)

Anonymous said...

Love it, Graham looks like a little amish boy, that sweet round face. I know they loved it!
momma

Heidi said...

I would like to get out and enjoy the beautiful world, but I have 39 loads of laundry & a long list of things to clean. Glad someone is getting to enjoy the great outdoors right now! Looks fun!