Voting

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Surprise!

I know I've already done a blog on David's birthday, but we had a surprise party for him yesterday and I just had to share some of the fun and yummy food with you all. My cheapo camera (still trying to save up for a nicer one) failed when he walked through the door (luckily we have it on video), so I don't have the shocked face picture to show...but believe me...it was a super fun moment!

Here's me and the birthday boy. We would have had on nicer clothes and I would have done my hair, but we "were on our way to Krogers." It's not exactly a place you dress up for. I think David might have thought something was up if I would have been all fancy and cute to strut through the grocery isles. (It's not my style to shop in stiletto's like some of these crazy ladies I see. Props to you if you're one of them.)


A group shot of everyone (minus Bill, Michelle, and Lydia who came a few minutes after this was taken) at Annyssa's house. Annyssa, thanks soooooo much again for letting us crash your pad!



I would be doing all of you spinach dip lovers out there an injustice if I didn't share this ridiculously good recipe. I served it with the option of rye biscotti chips or blue Tostitos. YUM!

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Ingredients

1 cup thawed, chopped frozen spinach
11/2 cups artichoke hearts (canned or frozen will work)
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (can add more for stronger flavor)

Directions

Boil spinach and artichokes in 1 cup of water until tender and drain. Discard liquid. Heat cream cheese in microwave for 1 minute or until hot and soft. Stir in rest of ingredients and serve hot. I add a little more Parmesan cheese on top because I think it the finest cheese out there. Simple and perfect.



In honor of David's sever obsession/ love affair with peanut butter, I chose to make chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter cream cheese frosting. This recipe was inspired by a post I saw on A Dash of Sass blog (one of my favorite food blogs). Here's my version:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

For the cake:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 cup weak coffee
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bar (this is optional, but highly recommended!)
chopped peanuts (optional)
chocolate sprinkles (optional)

For the frosting:
10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups confectioner’s sugar

Directions:

- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- Turn on the coffee maker and make a cup of WEAK coffee.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sour cream and oil. Stir.
- Slowly add the coffee and water. Stir to combine. Blend in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs and mix (with blender)completely.
-Heat chocolate bar until completely melted and stir in batter.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins. Fill each tin about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool a few minutes in the trays and then completely on wire racks before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, use a mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter together until thoroughly combined and light. (about 3 minutes)
- Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Beat until the frosting is a smooth fluffy texture and then add the peanut butter. Mix until completely combined.
- Frost and top with peanuts and sprinkles.


No comments: