Voting

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Perfect Just the Way You Are

I took the kids to their 3 year old and 1 year old doctor appointments last week and found out that Graham is currently petite and Parker is average. Average in size anyway.  Parker was always a chubby baby and usually found himself around the 75th percentile until he started walking and quickly burned off the fat. He also slowly descended to the 20th percentile by age two. Last week at the doctor I was expecting them to say the same thing as usual, but they didn't.  He had grown almost 4 inches in the past 6 months and had gained 3 pounds which made him 37.5 inches and 30 pounds. Woo Hoo! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. Due to my imperfections as a mom when it comes to vanity and pride, I've been trying my darndest to get Parker to the 50th percentile in weight. I've always hoped he would be in height, but I am smart enough to realize I can't change that without the help of growth hormones and that would just be stupid too vain. Why would I want Parker to be 50th percentile? Because he's a boy. If he were a girl, I wouldn't care if he was 5th or 95th. Girls seem to be excepted and praised for any healthy size. If a girl is petite, then she's cute and can wear just about anything. If a girl is tall, she is envied for her legs and the amazing jeans she can wear. There are always exceptions, but the point is girls can be seen by the public eye as beautiful no matter their size. Guys? They want to be big and most girls want a big guy. When asked what the perfect man would look like, how many girls do you think would say, "I'd like a guy who is 5"4 and cute as a button"? Not many. Are there girls who marry short men? Yes! We end up following out hearts and can easily be attracted to a man of big character instead of one who wears a 36 inch inseam. So, while I would love for my boys to grow up to be big men for the ease it seems it would bring to a guy's life, and though I truly was excited for Parker to be average, I am going to do my best to teach my boys that they are perfect just the way they are. If they are taking care of the bodies God gave them, then they don't need to be any bigger than what they are. A good personality and intelligence will take my boys a lot farther in life than size. I'm sure frustrations may come when a larger height or weight would aid in sports, but don't tell that to Emmett Smith, Andre Agassi or Muggsy Bogues who were all small for their sport. Parker and Baby Graham, you two are handsome, talented boys who are beautiful just the way God made you. Go tackle the world with your petite and average selves.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

You do have 2 of the most handsome boys Ive seen in my life. I tell everyone that too:)As for size Iam afraid I am going to have at least 2 big girls. I am still nervous about them getting made fun of. But they will be tall and beautiful if they have to be tall I guess. As for Parker. Jaden seems to take after me in stature and she loooveeess Parker so he has no worries.lol.. ;)